Australians are fortunate enough to enjoy some of the safest, most drinkable tap water there is on offer. In saying this, however, there are still some unwanted impurities and additives in tap water which can make it unpleasant to drink, on occasion. Finding the best water filter on the market, is a quick and easy way to put your mind at ease.
So what is the best water filter? With so many choices available on today’s market, it can be hard to narrow down the most appropriate type of water filter for your home. Whether you are after the best water filter jug, a countertop water filter, the best under sink water filter or even just want the best cheap water filter, you have come to the right place.
This article will help you choose the best quality water purifier that is most suited to your household and travelling needs so your tap water will always taste great. First check our handy comparison chart to quickly compare the top 10 water filters. Then read our detailed reviews including whole house water filter reviews, reverse osmosis water filter reviews and more!
Compare Best Water Filter Australia 2021
|Brita On Tap Water Filter System||Faucet||-||4.5||Check|
|Shield 5 Stage Undersink Alkaline Reverse Osmosis Water Filter System||Under Sink||5 stages||4.5||Check|
|Berkey BT2X2-BB Travel Water Filter||Travel||-||4.5||Check|
|Katadyn Hiker Pro Transparent Water Microfilter||Travel||-||4.5||Check|
|Geekpure Reverse Osmosis Drinking Water Filter System||Under Sink||5 or 6 stages||4.5||Check|
|Brita Marella XL Water Filter Jug||Jug/Pitcher||-||4.5||Check|
|Shield Whole House Water Filter System||Whole House||2 or 3 stages||4.0||Check|
|8 Stage 16L Countertop Water Filter||Countertop||8 stages||4.0||Check|
|Frizzlife Under Sink Water Filter System||Under Sink||2 stages||4.5||Check|
|Brita Ultra Max 18-Cup Filtering Dispenser||Countertop||-||4.5||Check|
Top 10 Of The Best Drinking Water Filter Australia 2021
Handy reference list of the best buy water filter Australia offers – see all full water filter reviews below!
- Brita On Tap Water Filter System, Faucet
- Shield 5 Stage Undersink Alkaline Reverse Osmosis Water Filter System, Under Sink
- Berkey BT2X2-BB Travel Water Filter, Travel
- Katadyn Hiker Pro Transparent Water Microfilter, Travel
- Geekpure Reverse Osmosis Drinking Water Filter System, Under Sink
- BRITA Marella XL Water Filter Jug, Jug/Pitcher
- Shield Whole House Water Filter System, Whole House
- 8 Stage 16L Countertop Water Filter, Countertop
- Frizzlife Under Sink Water Filter System, Under Sink
- Brita Ultra Max 18-Cup Filtering Dispenser, Countertop
Choosing The Best Kind Of Water Filter
Each water filter available on the market plays a vital role in the efficient removal of contaminants in your drinking water, to provide you with safe clean water. However, each comes in a different shape, size and they vary in functions. When it comes to choosing the best house water filter it’s important to consider the features that are most aligned with you and your household requirements.
There are various types of water filters to choose from on the market, therefore it’s important to consider how it will cater to your particular lifestyle, budget and home before you follow through with your purchase.
Whether you are seeking the best portable water filter, best domestic water filter or perhaps the best water filter for home use, this list of different water filters will help you decide which is the best home drinking water filter for you.
Jug Water Filter
The Jug Water Filter, also referred to as a water filter pitcher, is a jug fitted with a filter. Tap water is poured into the top part of the jug, passing slowly through the built in filter, resulting in filtered water at the bottom of the jug ready for you to drink.
- The best water filter pitcher is perfect if you are seeking a filter system that does not require installation as it comes ready to use.
- As it is essentially a jug with an inbuilt filter system, this type of water filter is portable, which is convenient if you are hosting dinner and have thirsty guests.
- The jug water filter is very affordable and is suitable for those on a budget.
- This type of water filter is slower than other types at filtering tap water so if you are dehydrated and need filtered water immediately, this may not be your go to.
- The filter of this particular make of water filter must be replaced regularly.
On Tap / Faucet Water Filter
The on tap/ faucet water filter fits right onto your tap, simply remove the aerator and situate the filter. The filter then removes impurities so you can enjoy a nice, fresh cup of filtered water.
- The best tap water filter allows you to alternate between filtered and non filtered water. So if you are enjoying a cup of water or you are cooking you can turn on the filter and when washing dishes you can leave it off.
- Tap/faucet water filters range in size so you can filter 350 to 1500 litres of water depending on the capacity you choose.
- Tap/faucet water filters improve the taste and quality of your drinking water by removing microbial, cysts, giardia and other impurities.
- This water filter device does require replacement filters, but in saying this some of the newer models are equipped with a digital indicator that informs you when the filter needs replacing.
- On the downside, this type of water filter does slow down the tap water flow slightly.
Countertop Water Filter
A Countertop Water Filter is a simple and effective way to constantly have filtered water available. This filtration system is placed next to your sink where it attaches directly to a water faucet. The tap water is diverted, through a small tube into a water filter house where the water is filtered, dispensing clean, delicious water.
- This type of water filter is installed with ease, simply attach it to the faucet.
- Everything is provided for you upon purchase, including the diverter valve and an aerator.
- The counter top filter reduces bacteria, chlorine, rust, lead, mercury, benzene, copper, sediment and organic chemicals from the water.
- This type of water filter is slightly pricier than that of a jug water filter and a faucet water filter.
Under Sink Water Filter
The under sink water filter is one that is fitted directly to the main waterline, under the counter top of your kitchen. It filters water directly at the faucet or through the fridge to give you the cleanest drinking water.
- The under sink water filter is out of sight which keeps the kitchen looking tidy.
- Although this water filter is expensive initially, it will save you money in the long run.
- This type of filter is known to remove 99% of water contamination, making it safe, clean and tasty to drink.
- This type of water filter is complicated to install, but in saying this it is the best water filter for home drinking water as its functionality makes it stand out from the rest.
Travel Water Filter
If you do a lot of hiking or travel to areas with tap water that is not drinkable, a portable water filter could be exactly what you need. There are a lot of small water filters on the market that are very easy to carry in a backpack or suitcase.
- Travel water filters are perfect for backpacking and travelling to different countries, with many countries advising to refrain from drinking tap water.
- Travel water filters are compact and portable in their design making them light and easy to travel with.
- Owning a travel water filter reduces plastic waste as it saves you from using single use plastic water bottles while out and about.
- Though travel water filters are economically friendly and great for travel, they are not usually as effective at filtering our microbes – be sure to invest in a high quality product!
Whole House Water Filter
A whole house water filter is one that is fitted at a point where the main water line enters the home. The filter removes impurities in the water before it is delivered to every tap and appliance in the home.
- This type of water filter is not installed and uninstalled easily, however, once installed it requires little to no maintenance for several years.
- The whole house water filter system provides you with peace of mind. Knowing that each tap will provide you and your family with the safest, cleanest water from each tap in the house making it the best family water filter on the market.
- By installing the best whole house water filter system you eliminate the need to install several filter devices in your house. This saves you money and is more economical in the long run.
- As this is a whole house water filter it can be pricier than other filter devices depending on the complexity of the system.
- Some homes may not have the required space for this type of system, though some are relatively small, others require a decent amount of space. This is definitely a factor to consider when purchasing your whole house water filter.
Filter Capacity / Filter Life
The capacity and life of a water filter is defined by the amount of water it can process before the filter needs to be replaced.
The larger the capacity, the longer the filter life. Therefore, when choosing the best filter for water to drink it is important to choose one with a filter life that is most suited to your needs. Larger families may need to consider a larger capacity whereas singles or couples could get away with a lower capacity.
Finding a product that has the right capacity and lifespan for your particular needs ensures you’ll get the best value water filter.
Filtration System And Stages
When it comes to considering the best household water filter for your lifestyle and budget it is vital to first assess/diagnose the quality of your tap water. From here you can determine the best water filter for your home.
Not all filters use the same technology and are each equipped with varying stages of filtration. The more complex the system, the more filtering stages the water undergoes.
Choosing a water filter system with fewer filtration stages (3-4) requires more frequent filter replacements and is less stable than a water filter system with more (5+). It is preferable to choose a water filter system with more filtration stages to ensure the best quality of water and less problems in the long run.
Ease Of Use And Installation
The ease of use and installation of a water filter are things you should definitely consider before purchasing. Look for systems that have a longer life span in addition to filter cartridges that are easy to replace at an affordable price.
Water filter jugs are totally foolproof and can be used by pretty much anyone. Tap filters mean you can instantly get filtered water without having to wait which can be more convenient if you’re likely to forget to fill a jug ahead of time.
If you do find a water filter system that is on the trickier side to install make sure you seek the help of a professional to encourage the safest, most efficient installation.
The Best Home Water Filter Reviews 2021 And More!
If you’re looking for the best water filter ever, give these reviews a read to help decide which one is the best water filter to buy for your home.
This Brita water filter is an on tap filter system designed to reduce chlorine and other organic bacteria that modify your drinking experience.
It features three water delivery functions; filtered, unfiltered and hand shower function making it one of the more versatile water filter options on the market. The brita water filter system has a fast filtration stream, with an impressive flow rate of 1.6 L/min in addition to an LCD display that indicates how many liters remain before the filter cartridge needs replacing.
If you are after the best faucet water filter the Brita Water Filter System won’t let you down and they’re a trusted name so you know you’re getting one of the best water filter brands.
The Shield 5 stage under sink reverse osmosis water filter system is a compact design to save you kitchen space and contains disposable filters that additionally provide zero bacteria exposure.
It is equipped with an 8L storage tank, reduces water waste and prevents the spread of germs. It is easy to install and cleaning the filters is a breeze. The filters include an antibacterial sediment filter, coconut carbon block filter, high flow reverse osmosis membrane and 2 in 1 nano silver alkaline carbon filter.
It also features a stainless steel tap which is non corrosive and lead free. If you are seeking a water filter system that provides the freshest, icy cold water then this could be the best kitchen water filter for your household!
The Berkey water filter is a compact, portable design. Although it is small, it delivers on filtration performance, providing delicious and safe filtered water, however with a 5.5L holding capacity it doesn’t hold much storage. It can filter a maximum of 10.5L per hour – ideal for two adults, but probably not for larger families.
Installation and replacement of filters with the Berkey Water filter is very easy. However the filters need priming before usage and also need to be cleaned regularly to stop them from clogging but they have a long life span of 3 years!
If you have limited kitchen space or like to travel the Berkey Water Filter makes for the best quality water filter for you!
The Katadyn Hiker Pro is an ultra light compact water filter. It is equipped with a 0.2 micron filter to remove harmful bacteria with an easy pump action, allowing you to continue on your travels with bottles full of the cleanest drinking water.
It’s easy to use, environmentally friendly and its field cleanable filter protector screen ensures that the cartridge is protected in harsh conditions. Water is filtered through activated carbon within the core to reduce chemicals and improve taste. It can even connect directly to hydration packs with 1/4” drink tubes and water bottles.
If you are looking for a durable, easy to use water filter on your travels then look no further than the Katadyn water filter.
The Geekpure Reverse Osmosis filter system could be the best affordable water filter as it is a quality product at a very economical price.
Fitted with 6 long life span filters, this water filter system removes 99% of the impurities in your drinking water and filters 10.5L of water in one go with a water flow rate of 11.5L per hour, certainly an excellent performer.
The one slight hurdle with this water filter system is the plastic connectors as it can be a slight threat for water leakage. But in saying this if you are looking for an effective water filter at a cheap price then the Geek Pure may be the best reverse osmosis water filter for you.
The Brita Marella XL jug could be one of the best water filters for drinking water if you need a jug option from a trusted brand.
Designed to filter water to reduce chloride it certainly makes for an affordable alternative to drinking bottled water. Fitted with a high filtration of 3.5L capacity this water filter jug provides drinking water more efficiently than others on the market. This product comes with 4 filters and replacements are easy to find at many high street stores or online.
The Maxtra filters are super easy to replace and the jug has a “memo” display which informs you when the filter needs to be changed. If you are travelling outdoors or experiencing hard water in your household then the Brita Marella XL could be the perfect water filter for you.
The Shield Whole House system is a very affordable, two stage filtration system. It features heavy duty housing, high performance carbon cartridges which efficiently remove sand, mud, rust and 99.99 % of chlorine from your drinking water.
The Shield Whole House Water Filter System works to protect your washing machine and hot water heater from any dirt or particles in addition to being water mark approved making it one of the best rated water filters on the market.
There are different types of this filter available so be sure to get the correct one for your house size. 10” by 2.5” (Low water consumption – approximately 15-25LPM), 20” by 2.5” (Lower water pressure supply – approximately 20-35LPM), 10” by 4.5” (Family less than 5 members – approximately 25-40LPM), 20” by 4.5” (Designed for high flow and numerous users).
This 8 stage 16L Countertop water filter makes for one of the best water filter units to enjoy conveniently at home or in your office. It is affordable, easy to install and incredibly easy to clean.
With 8 stages of filtration, this water filter assures the water you drink is of the optimal safety level, free of any organic contaminants, bacteria and lead. In addition to this the pH levels are stabilised and the water is softened for your drinking. The total volume of the unit is 16L, with the volume of the upper bucket 7L and volume of the lower bucket 9L.
The whole unit can be set up and filled with water in mere minutes, it weighs 4.5kg and measures 51cm x 32.5cm x 32.5cm so isn’t too intrusive on the kitchen bench. If you want to easily turn your tap water into the safest, cleanest and tastiest water, purchasing the 8 Stage 16L Countertop Water Filter is a smart way to go.
The Frizzlife is a 12.5cm x 35cm top of the line, under sink system with a two-stage advanced water purifier with 0.5 micron filter. This technology is able to eliminate over 99% of the impurities in your drinking water whilst simultaneously keeping the crucial minerals that are vital for health.
It takes less than 3 minutes to install the entire system and to replace filters, no plumbing required, making it mess free and headache free, perfect for a novice. Additionally, it has a high flow rate of 7.5L per minute and is multi usage, making it great for cooking, washing vegetables or washing dishes, without leaving water marks.
The FrizzLife has a core filter cartridge, which means only the core part of the filter cartridge needs replacing, instead of having to throw away the entire plastic part which is fantastic to save money and is great for the environment. A bonus is that the cartridge has a long-life span, only requiring a replacement every 2 years or 4500L, but to be safe and for better filtration it’s beneficial to change it between 6-8 months.
The Brita UltraMax is a very affordable, BPA- free water dispenser that allows you to enjoy clean, great tasting water with ease. Fitted with a single standard filter, this filtering dispenser is able to reduce the copper, chlorine, zinc and cadmium impurities in tap water to largely improve its taste.
With measurements of 36.5cm x 14.4cm x 26.5cm and a weight of 1.5kg the Brita Ultra Max is able to hold up to 5L (18 cups) of water. This extra large capacity makes the Brita Ultra Max an ideal filtering dispenser for busy families, sporting teams and for the office, while its space efficient, sleek design makes it incredibly convenient to store on your kitchen countertop or refrigerator shelf.
Additional features of the Brita Ultra Max are its flip top lid which makes refilling easy, its spigot which makes water pouring a breeze, especially for its large size. Plus, it also has a sticker indicator to help you keep track of when the filter needs replacing, which is usually every 150L or every 2 months.
We hope you’ve enjoyed our list and found the best water filter Australia offers for you. Looking to spruce up your home? Then our guide to the best vacuum cleaners will surely help!
Looking for other home tools and appliances? Check out more product reviews here.
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.